The present Dining Room was added to the House in 1898. It is a fine and spacious room with a decorative ceiling of heavy jarrah cross beams embellished with motifs of gilt griffins.
The oak sideboard is of Gothic design and is part of the furnishings of 1862, including the oak dining table and chairs, made by J G Crace of London. The then Governor, John Stephen Hampton (1862-1868), had requested mahogany and was reportedly displeased that his instructions had been ignored. Nevertheless, Crace’s dining suite remained to grace many official Vice Regal dinners.
This room presents at its best when arranged for a grand occasion, such as a State Dinner, but is often cleared of table and chairs to accommodate Receptions or small Awards Ceremonies held at Government House throughout the year.