As part of his Regional Visit Program, the Governor visited New Norcia in the State’s Wheatbelt region, stopping at the New Norcia Deep Space Ground Station (external link) and the New Norcia Benedictine Community (external link).
My fellow West Australians, you must come to New Norcia to learn about the fascinating history of the only monastic town in Australia. A real sense of peace and history.
It was outstanding to see the European Space Agency and CSIRO collaborating in WA so effectively on such significant galactic work.
The Honourable Kim Beazley AC, Governor of Western Australia
At the New Norcia Deep Space Ground Station, the Governor undertook the following activities:
- Met with Wheatbelt Development Commission Executives
- Met with European Space Agency representatives
- Toured main control building at the Station with Mr Kevin Ferguson, Head of Operations West, CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science
‘Championing Western Australian achievements in technology and development, and the state’s capacity to contribute to international research efforts such as the Square Kilometre Array and emerging Defence technologies,’ is one of the Governor’s priorities.
At the New Norcia Benedictine Community, the Governor undertook the following activities:
- Met with Rt. Rev. Abbot John Herbert
- Participated in community prayers in the monastery oratory
- Community lunch in monastery refectory
- Short tour of monastery library, archives, museum and gallery