Today is World Red Cross Day (external link), a global celebration to mark the anniversary of founder Henry Dunant and the seven key principles of Red Cross.
This year’s theme is the power of connection, with a focus on local connection and global impact. In a time where we are socially distanced from each other, connection has never been more important.
Red Cross Australia will be sharing stories that look at how we are all finding new ways to connect with friends, family and colleagues and sharing stories about their work in response to COVID-19, including:
- Making thousands of phone calls daily to people in quarantine and self-isolation, checking in on them and supporting their wellbeing.
- Distributing hygiene provision packs to communities in Tiwi Island and Galiwin’ku, and meals to young people facing homelessness.
- Adapting face-to-face programs so that vulnerable communities can continue to receive support, such as those facing homelessness and newly arrived migrants.
- Launching The COVID Collective podcast to help listeners stay safe, physically and emotionally well, and socially connected.
For more information on Red Cross’ COVID-19 response, see: https://www.redcross.org.au/stories/covid-19/our-response-to-coronavirus-covid-19
- Share your own story of connection and encourage others to reach out and connect with their community by using the hashtags #WorldRedCrossDay and #PowerOfConnection.
- Support people dealing with hardship or major loss during the COVID-19 pandemic (psychological first aid): https://www.redcross.org.au/stories/covid-19/support-people-dealing-with-hardship
- Introduce yourself to your neighbours (From a safe distance of course): https://www.redcross.org.au/stories/covid-19/a-card-to-help-your-neighbours
- Give blood, if you can. Red Cross Lifeblood have taken necessary steps to ensure donor centres are safe at this time.
- Make a donation. You can support essential services for people who are most vulnerable during the COVID-19 pandemic: https://www.redcross.org.au/campaigns/covid-19-response
The Governor is proud to be Patron of the Australian Red Cross WA.