Our beloved Queen was a notable fan of Bombay mix – a snack mix (namkeen) that consists of a variable mixture of spicy dried ingredients.
In 2013, the Daily Telegraph printed her preferred recipe.
You will need:
- 500g unsalted mixed nuts
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius and line two baking trays with foil or baking paper.
- Place the nuts in a large mixing bowl, add the oil and mix so that the nuts are well coated.
- Put the rest of the ingredients into another bowl and mix them together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the nuts and combine thoroughly.
- Spread the mix out evenly over the two trays and bake for 30 minutes. Shuffle the mix halfway through to make sure they cook evenly.
- Remove the mix from the oven and allow it to cool.
- One can eat them all by one’s royal self, share with the rest of the household or, when completely cool, store for eating within a few weeks.