The Governor-General and Chancellor of the Order of Australia, His Excellency General the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC (Retd), approved 993 awards which recognise outstanding and inspirational Australians.
The Honourable Kim Beazley AC, Governor of Western Australia will formally invest Western Australian recipients with the insignia of their appointments and awards at an Investiture Ceremony in September.
Western Australian recipients
77 Western Australians were recognised across the following categories:
- Officer in the General Division of the Order of Australia: 6
- Member in the General Division of the Order of Australia: 28
- Medal of the Order of Australia in the General Division: 32
- Meritorious: 12
Among those recognised were:
- Non-Executive Director of Wesfarmers and advocate for gender equality in business leadership roles Ms Diane-Smith Gander
- Minderoo Foundation co-founder Nicola Forrest
- Former football star and sports administrator Ron Alexander
- Community worker Reverend Sealin Garlett
- Since 2014, His Excellency General the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC (Retd) has appointed or awarded over 6000 Australians in the General Division of the Order of Australia.
- The break-down of Order of Australia Honours in The Queen’s Birthday 2019 list is:
- 12 appointed Companions of the Order (AC)
- 69 appointed Officers of the Order (AO)
- 319 appointed Members of the Order (AM)
- 593 Medals (OAM) awarded.
- Women received 395 – or 40 per cent – of awards. The number of nominations and awards for women are trending up.
- Almost 43 per cent of awards (420 in total) were for outstanding service or achievement in the community.
- The oldest recipient The Queen’s Birthday 2019 list is 99 years old. The youngest recipient is 18 years old.